Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life's many pitstops, and the hotdog and big chug that inevitably comes with it

Amount Spent: $49.21
What: Gas

Amount Spent: $90.19
What: Back-to-school essentials

Amount Spent: $54.50
What: Car registration renewal

Ah, life's annoying but inevitable expenses. Luckily, the end is near. The gas fill-up was probably my last of the summer before going back to school. I've had my errands this week but my tank is still on "full"--good sign there. I drive once more today, and then back up to Miami on Saturday. Then it's hibernation time for the ol' Malibu while I enjoy the perks of on-campus living. Thankfully, gas is back down to around $3.50 a gallon and so happily, the pump treated me with some mercy. Let's hope that $60 fill-ups are a thing of the past...for now.

The $90 explains itself. Going back to college is just EXPENSIVE. I've tried to economize, but I really don't have a say in the matter anymore. There are just some things you need--like shampoo, paper towels, plastic forks--that unfortunately cost money. In an attempt to be frugal, my brother and I bought all of our essentials in one trip to Wal-Mart, hopefully saving gas and a fragment of the ozone layer. Plus, it's Wal-Mart. There's a reason why people protest it: cheap stuff.

And finally, I was sorta coerced by the law into getting my vehicle's registration renewed. Sorry. Otherwise, some nice policeman might feel it's necessary to slap me with quite a large fine. No one wants that. Too bad responsible driving involves such large yearly fees. Well, maybe $50 only feels expensive because I just bought the whole darn car a few months ago. Who knows, but at least that money can go toward feeling a little bit better about my civic virtue. Score.

No comments: