Friday, April 10, 2009

Austere Times? Perfect

An interesting article from the New York Times about scrimping and saving.

In an Age of Austerity, the Misery Thrive

Millions of Americans have trimmed expenses because they have had their jobs or hours cut, or fear they will. But a subset of savers are reducing costs not just with purpose, but with relish. These are the gleefully frugal. (read more)
I find this article fascinating because more and more I find myself researching different ways to save money, even if most of the tips are not feasible for a college student. Just last week I spent hours on a site with healthy and cost-saving recipes, planning (of course) for living on my own next year. I actually think this is a problem, and more than an obsession. Who knows if it'll fade once the recession disappears. Hopefully not, because I'm learning a lot!

Good news of Friday? I haven't spent a dime all week, and I got paid this week!


Bad news? I wrote a check for my car payment, which I plan on mailing tomorrow. Expect an update soon. Plus, I gotta shell out some dollar bills for a haircut tomorrow as well.

No comments: