Monday, July 28, 2008

Interesting article

It somewhat relates to the subtitle of this blog, so I thought it an interesting read...

Oh, and before I forget, there will be another long entry soon devoted to my recent trip to Detroit and northern Michigan, so be on the lookout for that. I typically stave off consumeristic regret by not recording expensive and multiple transactions in my checkbook until I receive a paycheck (which happens to be this Friday), but I can not avoid my moral obligation--to myself, at the very least--to post it here for all the world to revel in my buying habits.

But again, back to the article. If you click the link, it'll bring you to an article with a creepy photo at the top. I hate to think of my face as a Starbucks logo, but the Nintendo kid is just frightening looking.


Branded
From the New York Times

Late in 2006, pollsters at the Pew Research Center called up 2,000 Americans and asked a simple question: Which products could people simply not live without? Take the dishwasher, for instance — was it a luxury or an ineluctable necessity of modern life? And did they believe they needed, rather than merely wanted, a clothes washer and dryer? How about a home computer, a microwave oven, high-speed Internet service and air-conditioning? Yes, yes, yes and yes, the nation nodded in assent. In just about every product category, Americans’ self-professed needs had ballooned since the hand-to-mouth 1990s. Not long ago, we thought of the cellphone as a high-class extravagance; nowadays, we feel naked without it.

That we are, as a nation, consumed by consumerism will surprise few.

Read more

No comments: