Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Another belated entry

Money Spent: $4.95
What: iTunes

Money Spent: $4.79
What: Blockbuster rental of "Michael Clayton"

Money Spent: $5.38
What: UDF ice craem


Hey, the good news is that all of these tiny purchases are all under $6! Eh? Eh? Ok, I know. Rein in your spending, Laura. Keep that wallet closed. Don't fritter away useful dollars and cents on a music downloading site, where 99 cents songs are like crack to an addict.

I know all these things. But I guess I will, at least, forgive myself these snapshots of discretionary spending in the name of hedonism. Downloading "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John makes me happy...thank you very much. And it's only the second time I've hit the "buy song" button this summer. I consider that an accomplishment.

The other purchases were in the valient name of date nights everywhere. Plus, I've been dating the same guy for more than three years now. I can afford to foot the bill of ice cream and a rental if he pays for dinner. Romance isn't all dead, but fiscal responsibility is also a crucial component of any relationship you expect (or want) to last. If you, as a female, can look your man in the eye and say "Sweetie, I'll pay for that," it should be a moment of liberation as well as maturity. You have a job--don't deny it. And you save money too, as much as you would like the opposite sex to believe that we spend it all on shoes, hence our empty wallets when the check comes. Don't expect him to stay with you long if he has to foot the bill everytime, ladies. Now, I'm not the champion of feminism everywhere--he did pay for the dinner, and drove for that matter. But I hope that these feminist war cries go a little ways toward explaining my extra spending. I mean, it's only $10...

Oh, and the question I know you're all dying for an answer: was "Michael Clayton" worth the money? Maybe, depending on your tastes. Too bad the boy fell asleep halfway through. But ah, so is love.

No comments: