Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Oil and Water

Money Spent: $1.50
What: Water

Money Spent: $44.85
What: Gas

This post is a day late. But a barrage of heavy storms and tornado warnings sweeping through my hometown last night kept me in the basement and off the Internet. However earlier, during a less stormier part of the evening, I went to the local YMCA for my attempted thrice weekly workout. I usually bring an old Dasani bottle and continuously refill it, but upon approaching the sink last night I was stopped by a soaking casserole dish from that night's dinner--a dish that was exuding a strange odor, if I may say. Cautious of getting any closer, I decided that since I had been using this said water bottle at work as well as during my workout, the risk of a bacterial infection was probably getting high. Therefore, with the remaining dollar in my wallet, I bought a new Dasani out of the machine at the Y.

On the gas side, I figure that I need to fill up about once a week or every week and a half (if I'm lucky). My 2004 Chevy Malibu isn't a gas guzzler, however nor is it a Prius. It's still new to me, so I'm not sure how big my tank is but with unleaded at $3.89 at my local Krogers, combined with the 10 cent discount of a Kroger Plus Card, I scored about 11 gallons for a little over $44. This is slightly lower than my last fill-up, in which I spent around $45. *Sigh* If only gas weren't necessary. If only I could turn to more environmentally friendly methods of transport, like the folks in the news are championing. However, living in a rural suburb about 20 minutes from anywhere isn't very conducive to bicycling to work. And since public transport is practically nonexistent in Cincinnati (especially in the "affluent" suburbs), it looks like the only conserving I'll be doing is limiting my trips beyond work and the YMCA.

No comments: